Welcome parents, families, career counselors and teachers! Do you know a student who you would consider a “hands-on learner”? Who perhaps has an interest in engineering, design, architecture, making, building, fixing or tinkering, but who would rather be in shop class than taking written tests?
…these are the kinesthetic learners that IYRS School of Technology & Trades wants to teach. We hope this page and the rest of our website will help you learn all about what IYRS has to offer these unique individuals.
IYRS at a Glance
• Not-for-Profit Education Institution
• Founded in 1993
• Campuses in Newport, RI and Bristol, RI
• Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools & Colleges (ACCSC)
• Federal, Veteran and merit-based financial aid and scholarships awarded to those who qualify
About IYRS Students & Alumni
• Have the ability to work independently or as part of a team
• Are incredibly diverse in age, nationality, backgrounds, interests and goals
• Some attend with a background in a trade and hands-on skills, some right out of high school, some never having worked with their hands; but all possess aptitude and motivation to learn and improve
• IYRS alumni make, restore, and maintain things with a heightened sense of purpose and craft, becoming truly in-demand across industries
Career Development & Job Placement
Our curricula are specifically designed based on fulfilling the needs of the industry and closing the skills gap. Our career services team works one-on-one with each student throughout their program to establish individual goals and a plan to achieve them.
Sample Career Services Schedule
September: Orientation Day
October: Career Counseling Assessment Sessions
December: Resume Writing Workshops
January: Career Services Sessions on Opportunities, Presentation Skills, Compensation Packages
February: Career Workshops on Job Interviewing, Recruiting & Hiring Technology, Networking
March: IYRS Career Day with Exclusive Employer Meet & Greet for IYRS Students
Additionally, IYRS partners with the Career Services office at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI for student workshops and skill development sessions.
Free eBook: Guiding the Hands-On Learner
⇒ What is a Hands-On Learner?
⇒ Characteristics, Learning Style & Behaviors
⇒ Helping the Hands-On Learner
⇒ Being a Mentor & Resource
⇒ Helping with Study Habits
⇒ Alternative Education & Career Paths (Changing Views)
⇒ Growing Skills Gap