Director of Philanthropy
Job Title: Director of Philanthropy
Employment Type: Full-time
This is a great opportunity to work in a school that is leading the future of experiential learning through combining craftsmanship and cutting edge technology. IYRS is contributing to significant changes in the field of post-secondary education. The IYRS campus is located in an extraordinary waterfront setting in historic Newport, RI.
This unique maker/builder school has an education and business savvy management team helping to disrupt the education space. Importantly, the school has achieved extraordinarily high placement rates for graduates across a broad range of industries – from marine trades to general manufacturing and design/innovation firms building next generation technology products. IYRS is getting plenty of attention for its work regionally and is ready to move onto a national stage.
Helping to lead an enthusiastic and well connected Board and securing philanthropic support will be two keys to the school’s continued progress. The Director of Philanthropy will work with the trustees, volunteers, and the president, management team, and staff to identify, cultivate, and solicit gifts.
The School Mission:
IYRS provides world-class experiential education, preparing students to enter a global maker and manufacturing workforce. IYRS teaches the art and science of making, building, restoring and maintaining, and in the process, helps its graduates build both careers and more meaningful lives – inspired by the knowledge that in their hands and through the use of technology, they have the power to build almost anything.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop a major gifts plan. Work with the management team and trustees to develop funding priorities and to implement these programs to sustain major gifts. Develop a pool of primarily individual, corporate and foundation givers and coordinate the participation of all relevant IYRS players – from management and Board to faculty.
- Manage a portfolio of 100+ major gift opportunities, including strategic plans for each and a process of moving prospects through a documented pipeline of progress for reporting and management purposes. Manage this process with metrics that include scheduled visits per month and specific revenue goals per quarter.
- Manage a small Development Office team that includes an in-house associate/database administrator and an events manager. Set specific processes and quarterly goals for them as well.
- Engage the management team and board strategically to contribute to the development process, including through direct contacts, meetings and presentations. Build prospect lists and participate in all aspects of the development process through closing and stewardship.
- Work with the Chair of the Board’s Development Committee to lead an active and growing committee of volunteers as ambassadors for the school. Engage with all Board members to participate in growing a culture of philanthropy.
This individual will attend meetings, visit donors, and be responsible for events outside the regular business day on a regular basis. Some evening and weekend work is required.
The successful candidate will be expected to travel when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least five or more years of progressively responsible experience raising philanthropic funds is required.
- Major gift experience with demonstrable results is also essential.
- An understanding of how to leverage technology and social media in both communication and operations management are also critical.
- You must be a great communicator – both in person and in writing – and understand all aspects of cultivating and stewarding donors.
- As culture is an important part of IYRS we are looking for an energetic, optimistic person that fits with our values and core culture where there is a healthy and exciting layer of fast paced change.
Competitive salary and benefits, including 403b program and generous vacation are offered.
How to Apply:
No calls please. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]