Attend the Winter Open House at IYRS on Saturday, January 26, 2019. Chat with students and faculty, learn about the 2018-2019 build projects, tour our campus and visit all IYRS programs. Register to Attend
DESIGN, PROTOTYPE, FABRICATE
The Digital Modeling & Fabrication program at IYRS is a technical skill-building platform for the modern maker or manufacturer.
The extra-disciplinary curriculum gives students the opportunity to engage in design thinking, prototyping & fabrication. The DM&F Build Studio, equipped with cutting-edge additive technologies (such as 3D printers) & subtractive technologies (such as CNC machines), provides students access to hands-on learning in an effort to execute projects from start to finish.
At the intersection of design & fabrication…
- The DM&F curriculum enables students to develop their technical proficiency through hands-on training and access to industry-standard equipment and software. Combining design and skills-based training, students learn to function at the intersection of design & fabrication in an effort to identify and create the best possibly outcome
- Work in a wide range of materials that support the design and fabrication process in a wide range of industries. From cardboard to carbon fiber, we introduce a broad range of materials to provide students with knowledge when they re-enter their selected industry.
- Join a diverse and unpredictable community of driven and curious makers, craftspeople, designers, and technicians, all with various interests and experiences, on our 3-acre waterfront campus in Newport, RI.
- Turnkey / Custom Solutions
- Prototype / Start-up
- Facilities Infrastructure
- Design Principles I
- Design Principles II: Laser Scanning & Photogrammetry
- Basic Machine Shop Principles
- Computer Aided Manufacturing
- CNC Machining Systems
- Rapid Prototyping & Additive Technologies
- Physical Computing
- Career Readiness Skills
DM&F DEEP DIVE
Learn the principles of 3D design and product development. Understand how to develop a product that is functional, sustainable, and user focused. Dive deep into physical object design, the product development cycle, and additive manufacturing scalability.
Access an array of materials, from wood and metals to carbon fiber and composites to prototype in our state-of-the-art build studio. Gain experience with 3D printing technologies, laser cutting, vacuum forming, and physical computing.
Push the limits of creativity and innovation with individual and team-based projects that allow you the freedom to discover your true talents, in a learning environment created with the “modern maker” in mind. You’ll spend a large portion of your time prototyping, collaborating with team members, testing and analyzing the results of your projects.
The DM&F curriculum builds a foundation both for the graduate and their future employer. The technical components and practice aim at minimizing the workforce skill gap. The projects, constraints, and critiques foster entrepreneurial and design thinking on the shop floor. The challenges of collaboration and critical thinking simulate the contributions needed for successful cross-departmental initiatives within R&D labs, the shop floor, and the C-suite of startup, mid-sized, & corporate environments.
At the core of the IYRS experience is the community of makers, craftspeople, builders, designers, and technicians that have a strong desire to explore what they can accomplish through their hands, their heads, and through the use of technology. During your time at IYRS you will be collaborating with industry-experienced faculty members and classmates who learn, make, restore and maintain things with a heightened sense of purpose and craft.