IYRS’ Composites Technology students are trained to work with next generation materials, equipment and techniques.
Skills built through the program are applicable to a broad range of manufacturing fields throughout the general economy, including aerospace, aviation, wind energy, automotive, marine, construction, military, medical and beyond. Manufacturing with composite materials is as broad as fabrication with 3D printers to major industrial size projects.
The Composites Technology curriculum is designed to prepare graduates to work across these fields, making you scalable and relevant in the broadest sense.. Our academic staff consult with industry businesses and organizations on a regularly to ensure the training we provide is relevant, on the leading edge of materials science, and of utmost value to employers.
Throughout the 6-month program, which includes a 4-week externship, students receive training in the following major areas:
• CNC Machine Operator Training
• Vacuum Infusion Processing
• Advanced Composites Molding
• Computer-Aided-Design (CAD) Software
• Composites Restoration Practices
• Molding Processes and Methods
• In-Mold Coating Techniques
• Computer-Aided-Manufacturing (CAM) Equipment Operations
Students sit for American Composites Manufacturing Association (ACMA) certification exams in Open Molding, Light Resin Transfer Molding and Vacuum Infusion, providing graduates with important and recognized credentials that help create confidence for employers evaluating IYRS graduates.
Sample of Composites Technology Externship & Career Outcomes
- Aquidneck Custom
- Clear Carbon & Components
- Composite Engineering, Inc
- Fast Forward Composites
- Goetz Composites
- Jamestown Boatyard
- Kreysler & Associates
- Leading Edge Composites
- LIM Innovations
- New England Boatworks
- New York Yacht Club – American Magic
- Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats
- Piedmont Fiberglass
- Resolute Racing Shells
- Seascope Systems
- Southern Spars, Composite Rigging
- Symmetrix Composite Tooling
- Thomas Engineering
- TPI Composites