IYRS students and industry partners consistently report their externship as a high value part of their IYRS educational experience. Working with the IYRS Industry Development team, students in The School of Boatbuilding & Restoration, School of Marine Systems, and School of Composites Technology are required to gain external experience through an externship prior to graduating the program. The experience provides a student with an opportunity to deploy both their hands-on and career skills acquired during IYRS studies, and it offers industry an opportunity to see you in action.
Requirements & Expectations of the IYRS Externship Program:
- Students document their progress and learning.
- Students keep a time-log of hours worked.
- Internship supervisors provide student evaluations and feedback.
- Each student gives an oral presentation of their internship to classmates and faculty.
- Students get constructive feedback—both on and off the job.
- In addition to the valuable learning opportunity, more than half of students report receiving a job offer after participating in the internship.
Recent Student Externship Placements
- Exelis, Inc. (McLean, VA)
- JC Hawaii (Oahu, Hawaii)
- Hinckley Yachts (Portsmouth, RI)
- Merritt Boat & Engine Works (Pompano Beach, FL)
- Composite Solutions, Inc. (Hingham, MA)
- Kreysler & Associates, American Canyon, California
- Southern Spars (Portsmouth, RI)
- Rybovich (West Palm Beach, FL)
- Brewer Street BoatWorks (Newport, RI)
- Charleston City Boatyard, Wando, South Carolina
- Resolute Racing Shells (Bristol, RI)
- General Dynamics – Electric Boat, Groton, CT
- Cay Electronics (Portsmouth RI)
- Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. (Thunderbolt, GA)
- Jarret Bay Boatworks, Beaufort, North Carolina
- KMC Powersports (Westerly, RI)
- Siren Marine (Newport, RI)
- North Atlantic Marine Services (Wareham, MA)
- Seven Star Marine (Newport, RI)
- Moores Marine (Riviera Beach, FL)
- Crawford Composites, Denver, North Carolina
- Applewood Boatworks (Gloucester, MA)
- Goetz Composites (Bristol, RI)
…and many more! IYRS staff works with students individually to help identify and pursue an opportunity which fits in with their career goals.