This page contains externship program details for current students. If you are an employer, click here.
IYRS students and our industry partners consistently report the externship program as a high value part of their IYRS experience. Working with the career services team, students in the Boatbuilding & Restoration, Marine Systems, Composites Technology and Digital Modeling & Fabrication programs gain real-world experience through an externship prior to graduating from the program. The experience provides a student with an opportunity to deploy both their hands-on and career skills acquired during IYRS studies, and it offers employers an opportunity to see you in action.
Requirements & Expectations of the IYRS Externship Program:
- Students document their progress and learning.
- Students keep a time-log of hours worked.
- Externship supervisors provide student evaluations and feedback.
Sample of Student Externship Placements
- Exelis, Inc. (McLean, VA)
- JC Hawaii (Oahu, Hawaii)
- Hinckley Yachts (Portsmouth, RI)
- Merritt Boat & Engine Works (Pompano Beach, FL)
- Composite Solutions, Inc. (Hingham, MA)
- Kreysler & Associates (American Canyon, CA)
- Southern Spars (Portsmouth, RI)
- Rybovich (West Palm Beach, FL)
- Brewer Street BoatWorks (Newport, RI)
- Charleston City Boatyard (Wando, SC)
- Resolute Racing Shells (Bristol, RI)
- General Dynamics – Electric Boat (Groton, CT)
- Block Island Ferry (Block Island, RI)
- Mystic Seaport (Mystic, CT)
- Cay Electronics (Portsmouth, RI)
- Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. (Thunderbolt, GA)
- Jarret Bay Boatworks (Beaufort, NC)
- KMC Powersports (Westerly, RI)
- Siren Marine (Newport, RI)
- North Atlantic Marine Services (Wareham, MA)
- Seven Star Marine (Newport, RI)
- Moores Marine (Riviera Beach, FL)
- Crawford Composites (Denver, NC)
- Applewood Boatworks (Gloucester, MA)
- Goetz Composites (Bristol, RI)
- Coronet Restoration Project (Newport, RI)
- Hasbro, Inc. (Pawtucket, RI)
- New York Yacht Club – American Magic (Bristol, RI)
…and many more! IYRS staff works with students individually to help identify and pursue an opportunity which fits in with their career goals.