IYRS seeks a creative and experienced leader for our new Digital Modeling & Fabrication Program. This leader has a distinguished record as an innovative, industrial and/or product designer with the ability to organize, build a pedagogy, develop branding and attract new students and faculty to our burgeoning digital fabrication & modeling program.
The successful candidate will consolidate and build on these successes just as IYRS embarks on a new long-range plan. The position represents a strategic opportunity for an integrative thinker and pragmatic leader to build an environment of critically informed and publicly engaged makers and builders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
The Digital Modeling & Fabrication Program Manager will lead the IYRS digital fabrication and modeling curriculum while implementing a process of continuous improvement and building a pool of as well as oversight of adjuncts. Responsible for overseeing the acquisition, set up and maintenance of the lab’s equipment, tools and materials inventory, and maintaining the lab’s safety standards. The following are general responsibilities. Uphold IYRS standard of craftsmanship and instruction through:
- Staying informed of innovations within the industry including use of modern tools and equipment. Some of the incredible equipment the Program Manager will have access to and be responsible for are: CNC Machines, Laser Engraver, Lathes, Milling machines, 3D Printers and more.
- Identification and hiring of a top-notch pool of adjuncts for this new program
- Participation in ongoing curriculum enhancement, including development of syllabus and schedules for full term and professional development programs
- Oversight for all requisite preparatory work for program delivery
- Maintaining and upgrading Shop/Lab, including ensuring student access to adequate tooling, equipment, machinery and supplies
- Driving student outcomes, including overseeing the evaluation process
- Assisting with finding and supporting industry internships
- Administering Standard IYRS Operating Procedures, including managing the budget, ensuring, explore improvements to procedures and oversee RA (student shop assistant) program and lab use
- Maintaining Lab Safety Standards and Uphold Student Policies per handbook, including attendance and enforce & maintain clean and orderly shop/lab environment
- Maintaining understanding of and relationships with collaborative shops and related opportunities
- Lots of experience in the maker spaces highly desired
- Five or more years of teaching/industry experience required; some supervisory/management experience preferred
- Up to date knowledge in design and advanced fabrication technologies
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and the general public at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work in and lead in a team environment
- Good verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to communicate the attributes and benefits of the unique setting and educational experience of IYRS School of Technology & Trades
- Collaborative and “Make Anything Possible” attitude