IYRS MISSION STATEMENT
IYRS provides experiential education, preparing students to enter a global maker and manufacturing workforce. IYRS teaches the art and science of making, building, restoring and maintaining, and in the process, helps its graduates build both careers and more meaningful lives – inspired by the knowledge that in their hands and through the use of technology, they have the power to build almost anything.
IYRS currently has four accredited programs, Digital Modeling & Fabrication, Composites Technology, Boatbuilding & Restoration and Marine Systems. Additionally, IYRS regularly collaborates with post-secondary schools of architecture, preservation, industrial design and engineering through short-term classes, including recently with MIT, Harvard, RISD, Roger Williams and others. IYRS offers an extraordinarily attractive location to study in the heart of beautiful and historic Newport, RI, where IYRS’ three acre campus is situated overlooking Newport harbor.
Make Anything Possible™
Building or restoring things is the essence of creativity, productivity, human spirit, and even community. We are driven to do this kind of activity, and to celebrate the associated art, science and knowledge – the ability to work and think through our hands or through the use of technology.
Enter IYRS, a school founded upon an experiential education model – a model that prepares highly technical and deeply craft-oriented people to work with a range of materials, and to maintain a range of systems, to help industry and the individual. In a nutshell, that education is this: students immersed, both body and spirit, with a team equally dedicated to transforming materials into useful, lasting things, and in so doing transforming their lives and careers.
At IYRS, students learn to make, restore and maintain things with a heightened sense of purpose and craft, becoming truly in demand across industries. In the process, they build more meaningful lives, satisfied and inspired in the knowledge that, in their hands, they have the power to build almost anything!
IYRS at a Glance
• Founded 1993
• Internationally recognized experiential learning institution
• Waterfront campus in the heart of Newport, RI featuring Restoration Hall, The Brooks Building, and the Aquidneck Mill Building
• Offering three full-time programs in highly technical and deeply craft-based making, building and restoring
• Small student body, highly focused curricula
• Articulation agreements with Roger Williams University and Community College of Rhode Island for Associate and Bachelor’s degree study
• Regular collaborations with prestigious institutions such as MIT, Harvard, RISD, Roger Williams & others
• Industry-experienced faculty
• Strong roster of industry partners and sponsors
• Active in major restoration projects & manufacturing innovation
IYRS works with schools, industry and government groups to create short, custom programming to meet specific training needs. IYRS has recently collaborated with:
• Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design
• Massachusetts Institute of Technology
• Rhode Island School of Design
• Stevens Institute of Technology
• Roger Williams University
• United States Army
• United States Navy
• United States Coast Guard
ACCREDITATION & AFFILIATIONS
IYRS is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). Our programs are conceived, developed and continually improved through oversight and engagement by industry partners, certification granting associations, and through an internal evaluation process that includes students, staff, trustees, and industry consultants.
LEARN MORE ABOUT IYRS VIA EMAIL